Overdose prevention services are health services where community members who use drugs receive wraparound treatment and support. They offer low barrier, life-saving care that helps us to respond to the current opioid and overdose crisis facing our community – and our province.
In May 2018 the Guelph Community Health Centre, Guelph Family Health Team and ARCH partnered to establish Guelph’s Overdose Prevention Site (OPS). Building on our life-saving efforts amidst this current overdose crisis, we are now pursuing an application to the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care to offer Consumption Treatment Services to ensure appropriate supports will be available over the long term. For more information click here.
Services Provided Include:
- Distribution of harm reduction supplies, naloxone and the sharing of health education.
- Supervised injection services. The site includes two injection booths where medical and site staff provide immediate medical oversight and ongoing monitoring to ensure safety of individuals using the service.
- Space for quiet activities, extending the length of supervision by trained staff.
- Foot and wound care, Hep C/HIV/STI screening and care, medical assessments.
- Support and referrals to addiction treatment, primary care, mental health supports, housing and other social services.
Survey Invitation from Guelph Overdose Prevention Site Partners
We are currently reaching out to our neighbours and community partners to gather perspectives that will inform our community’s path forward. Our community engagement process includes a number of touch points with the general public, local businesses and community agencies, as well as public health, police and City Council.
As part of this process, we would like to invite members of the public to participate in a brief, online survey. By clicking on this link you will be led through a series of 7 questions. Your responses are anonymous. Please complete the survey before 5pm on December 3rd. The results from this survey will be very helpful in informing our work moving forward.
Thank you in advance for your thoughtful participation. We encourage you to reach out to us anytime if you have questions, concerns or would like to know more about our services.
The OPS/proposed CTS is a complement to the many health and social service resources that are offered by the Guelph Community Health Centre.