Who is on my Health Care Team?

What is the team approach and how does it work at the Guelph Community Health Centre?

When you become a client of the Guelph CHC you will be assigned a Primary Care Provider and become a client of the Guelph Community Health Centre.  Your Provider may be a Nurse Practitioner or a Family Physician.  Our reception staff will work to ensure you have appointments with someone who knows your health history well, however, you may receive care from a different Provider than the one to which you are assigned if you need a same day appointment or if your Provider is unavailable.

At the Guelph CHC, Nurse Practitioners and Family Doctors work together as a team and consult regularly on care according to their expertise and to cover for each other in case of absences.  A Registered Practical Nurse is also part of the team and you may receive care from an RPN on occasion.

If your Provider leaves the Guelph CHC, you will be assigned a new Provider which may be a Nurse Practitioner or a Family Physician at the discretion of the Guelph CHC.

Medical Team Image

What is a Nurse Practitioner?

Nurse Practitioners (NPs), are registered nurses with advanced university degrees in Family Health Care who are able to order and interpret diagnostic tests, make diagnoses, prescribe medicines and perform specific procedures such as a PAP or immunizations. Like Family Physicians, Nurse Practitioners are able to make referrals to other health care services and specialists, when needed.

What is a Family Doctor?

A Family Doctor is a Medical Doctor who has specialized in family medicine. Our Family Doctors have both broad background knowledge as well as specialized training and experience to help support the unique needs of the Guelph Community Health Centre clients.

What is a Registered Practical Nurse?

Registered Practical Nurses (RPN) are nurses who have studied clinical nursing for 2.5 years at an accredited college in both classroom and clinical settings. They hold a diploma in Practical Nursing.

What is a Social Worker?

Social Workers are specifically trained and qualified to deliver a range of counselling and psychotherapy services that effect long-lasting and positive change on many levels. Our Social Workers have their Masters in Social Work, and experience and training in trauma based support and client advocacy.

What is a Dietitian?

Registered Dietitians use their knowledge and skills in food and nutrition to promote good health. They are health care professionals who have earned a Bachelor’s degree specializing in food and nutrition,  have completed supervised practical training through a university program or an approved hospital or community setting and are registered with their provincial regulatory bodies.

What is a Parent Outreach Worker?

Parent Outreach Workers connect families to neighbourhood and community programs, provide support to families and parents and coordinate programs and events in our priority neighbourhoods. Our Parent Outreach Workers are approachable, compassionate and bring a wide variety of experiences and skills to their roles.

What is a Health Guide?

Health Guides provide wrap-around care, support, advocacy and navigation for primary care clients who face complex health and social barriers. Our Health Guides use a client-centred approach to assist their clients in accessing the supports they need to achieve their unique health goals.

WP-Backgrounds by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann


Skip to content